Saturday, November 17, 2007

What Are You Thankful For?

Please pardon any typos or grammar mistakes in this blog. During a workshop this week, Joe and I discovered how to post a blog entry by email, so even though I do not have access to a computer right now, I am able to blog by cell phone :)

At this time of year a common activity is to reflect upon the year (or life in general) and note what you are thankful for. I thought that I would blog on this topic with a TEC spin, what technology tools am I thankful for? I am going to try to pick one hardware item, one software application, and one online resource for which I am thankful.

Hardware
I can't decide which piece of hardware appreciate more, the iPod or the Blackjack. The iPod is a great presentation tool; I use it to present PowerPoint slideshows, video clips, and to provide background music during workshops. I listen to a variety of podcasts to stay caught up with current events and hobbies. The Blackjack is a cell phone, email station, and a mobile web browser. I think it is fantastic that I can post this blog entry even when I don't have a computer or access to a wireless Internet connection.

Software
Ironically, my favorite piece of software is Garageband (this ties nicely into the theme of TEC). This piece of software makes it extremely easy to turn any audio recording into a masterpiece. My favorite feature of Garageband is the ease of adding audio loops, background music, and sound effects. It is also very easy to add picture, hyperlinks, or even PDFs to create enhanced podcasts. Unfortunately, this is Mac-only software, but this software alone makes it worth buying a Mac :)

Online Resource
Let me start this part of my blog entry with a disclaimer, my first response to this section would be Google. But that answer includes too much good stuff; such as Google Earth, Picasa, Blogger, and much much more. So I decided to select twitter. When I first heard about twitter (http://www.twitter.com/) I could not understand why anyone would be interested in this resource. What is twitter? In a nutshell, it is a microblogging web site where you have 140 characters to repond to the prompt, "What are you doing right now?" At first I could not think of anyone that I would remotely be interested in getting this type of information from. But, I have started to see how this type of social networking connects people. I have enjoyed getting updates about daily life from family and friends who have joined me on twitter. And I am constantly amazed at the details that people will actually share on twitter. If you decide to try twitter let me know and we can start following each other :)

Perhaps my list has introduced you to something new. In that case, please take some time and explore that resource. One thing is for sure, my list does not match your list. Please reply to this post by commenting and sharing what technology you are thankful for.

Burt

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Personally, I am thankful for my MacBook Pro (I will never go back), Planbook (a lesson plan software I use), and Bloglines. In my "techie" world I just want things to work and be simple. These three things accomplish those two goals.

Anonymous said...

I am thankful for my USB mouse because with Rheumatoid Arthritis, my hands can't take my touchpad mouse on my laptop. Of course I'm also thankful for my family, friends, and students.